Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I just can't stop!


A few of my friends were posting about their addictions to soaps or types of TV shows in their blog and it got me thinking. First, it got me thinking of how cheap and broke I am as I don't even get the channels that their shows are on because I refuse to pay for anything more than my antenna on my roof! hahahah  And then it got me thinking of what my favorite show would be.   I realized that I do not really have one, partly because of limited channels and partly because I would much rather pick up a book. I am not saying that on occasion I like to catch an episode of CSI Miami or The Good Wife, but for the most part I will grab a book.
Now, you may think, how wonderful to grab a book instead of sitting in front of the tv, but in actuality, it is not.  I have a severe addiction (some would classify it as a disease) to reading and once I start a book, I generally cannot stop. At least with a tv show, there is a time limit. I, however, can start a book at 9:30pm and unfortunately read until 2 or 3 am without having any idea that I have done so. I have finished books in one night many times, as I physically am unable to put it down. It is like I am in a trance or coma or under some spell, that I just keep reading and reading and page after page goes by.  I say in my head that I will be done at the end of the next chapter, but it never happens. I have such an illness that I have to hide books from myself and give myself "breaks" so that I get some sleep. I am on one of those breaks right now and my book is out in the horse trailer, so that I will have to walk outside to get it if I want it. I have not started it yet and can't even remember the title, which is a good thing or I would be sneaking out there in my slippers to read.  I am trying really hard to pace myself and teach myself some self control when it comes to books, but as yet, I still have not been very successful.  I even tried reading different types of books to see if that was part of the problem. I usually read murder/mystery/detective type books. I thought maybe they are just too intense. I borrowed some books from a friend, hoping they would be boring and I would lose interest. No such luck. I even tried to appeal to my cheap side and refuse to go to the library. I buy the books to read hoping this will help me make them last longer than a day or two. Nope. So if you have any suggestions on how to help me with my addiction, let me know! Otherwise I will continue on as I have been for many years with my current plan, or lack of one.  Happy reading!!!

Here are some of my favorite authors:

Sandra Brown
Patricia Cornwell- love the Scarpetta series
Iris Johansen
Tami Hoag
James Patterson
Mary Higgins Clark
Jonathan Kellerman
Wendi Corsi Staub 
Lisa Gardner
Dick Francis

The list goes on and on and on!!
 Ps. I plan on grabbing my book out of the horse trailer 
very soon as my "break" will soon be over!
 Yippee!!!


2 comments:

  1. I have a problem with BUYING books and never reading them! I must admit, I am sucked in by their pretty covers. I love to read and have a stack of unread books that stands shoulder high - but I just don't have the time. So, my 15 minutes or so before my head hits the pillow is about all I get.

    **ENABLER ALERT** I just heard about this new paperback swap site. http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php you trade books for free with others - and only pay shipping. It looks pretty cool and I might try this when I get through my stack and need more to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool!!! I will have to check that out as I am always OUT of books to read! Thanks for the info!!!

    ReplyDelete