Saturday, September 4, 2010

Moms and Grandmas..........magic?

Today I am challenging anyone who reads this to find those little things that remind us of people, places and experiences we have had in the past and cherish those memories.

My thought was prompted today by an experience that I had while out on the trails with my trusty mount, Chancy the 3 year old quarter horse. It was a beautiful day filled with sunshine, a light breeze, good friends and good horses. We were walking along, thoroughly enjoying the company and the view, when suddenly we came upon a swarm of really angry ground bees. My poor little horse was desperately trying to figure out how to get them to stop stinging her and which way to go to get away.  I, of course, was really concentrating on not falling off and helping my horse get out our situation. As we are dancing, jumping, spinning and jigging around before we finally just broke to a run to get away from them, a funny thought popped into my head........"If only I had those little green capsules of medicine that my grandma and mom used to have......I could make her, and myself, as I got stung too, feel better...."  I found it odd that as I am trying to control my 1000 pound 3 year old, all I could think of was how wonderful it was to have a grandma and a mom that was always there for me when life "stung" me.  As I continued the ride, I found a smile on my face remembering some of those great times that these wonderful women had given me and how they were always there to take away the "sting" for me.  They are like magic with their words, hugs and medicine at just the right times and places.  I am so thankful for that! I never could find that magical green medicine in the little glass capsules in any drug store. Trust me, I have looked! It was the greatest stuff as it instantly took the burning and pain away.  Is it possible that my memory is a bit blurred and it was just their own special "magic" all along?
So, take a moment to remember the little things that prompt a memory and be thankful for the people in your life that have been there to whip out their little green capsules of magic for you............and..........watch out for bees that live in the ground!! They are not very friendly after your horse steps on their home!!!
Grandma Goranson and Meg
My Mom

2 comments:

  1. Very sweet post tonight. And funny that you said that about cherishing memories. I was just noticing on my phone that I still have my gma and gpa's anniversary on the calendar even though my gpa has been gone for 8 years now. But it prompted me to think about them and the wonderful memories I have of my grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome awesome awesome blog!! I too love your mom and grandma!!

    ReplyDelete